Subject: Re: terminal scrolling
To: Justin Heath <justin@bbnow.net>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/04/2001 07:29:38
> Can someone tell me how to enable or use 'scroll' functions at a
> terminal. I would like to be able to do something similar to 'shift +
> page up' or 'shift + page down' to scroll up or down while at the
> terminal.

Do you mean a real terminal, the console, or an xterm?

For a real serial terminal, it's hardware specific. :-)

For the console it depends on the console driver but I think the
answer is 'no' although some code drifted by the other day so the
answer might change shortly.

For xterms the way I manage it (which may not be optimal -- I try not
to know anything about X) is by setting the following resource:

*VT100.Translations: #override \
			Ctrl Meta <Btn1Down>: popup-menu(fontMenu)\n\
			!Shift <Key>Up: scroll-forw(1, line)\n\
			!Shift <Key>Down: scroll-back(1, line)\n\
			~Ctrl ~Meta ~Shift <Key>Prior: scroll-back(1, page)\n\
			~Ctrl ~Meta ~Shift <Key>Next: scroll-forw(1, page)

I also increase the number of lines that are saved:

xterm*saveLines:	600

Hope this helps,

Giles