Subject: Disk quota
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/27/2000 20:52:20
I think I have disk quota figured out.  I want to clear up two things...

1) If I set a group quota for a mount point, is it cumulative for the group
for per user.

i.e. I setup 20 users in the group 'foo'
I edit fstab so /home has a quota and then 'edquota -q foo' and set the hard
limit to 5120 blocks (5-Megs[correct?]).  I'm assuming that a block is
1024-bytes, not the older 512-bytes.
Will quota only allow 5-Megs total for those users in group 'foo' (under
mount point /home) or 5-Megs per user assigned to group 'foo'?
What happens if 'foo' is not a user's primary group but they are setup in
/etc/group so that 'foo' is a secondary group?

2) Is there a substantial performance hit for quota.

The mind reels at the possibilities!

John Maier
Administrator
Midamerica Internet Services