Subject: Re: French ADSL
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Sam <sam@epita.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/26/2000 12:04:24
On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 11:30:20AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
> Subject: Re: French ADSL
> To: sam@epita.fr
> Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 11:30:20 +0100 (MET)
> CC: netbsd-users@netbsd.org
>
> > I tried PPPOE on Netissimo 1 and 2 and it works perfectly on NetBSD,
> > but couldn't have PPTP working.
>
> I'm not sure what you tried. PPTP (as a tunneling protocol) needs a working
> connection. So if this works at all you need PPPOE working, and then above
> that PPTP. So why should the ADSL modem respond to PPTP? It's the other end
> point of the tunnel that should respond to PPTP.

Here is how ADSL works... (at least as i think it works... :) )

 The PC box is connected to an Adsl BOX with an ethernet wire. both
interface (pc and Adsl box) have a local ip addresse (10.0.0.0/24, or
192.168.0.0.0/24), all adsl boxes (In France) supports PPP over
Ethernet and some supports PPPTP. Then ppp speaks with the peer
authenticates it self and asks for config parameters...

the ppp is encapsulated over ethernet with PPPoE, or tuneled through PPTP.

Then your "external" interface (with the Public IP) is ppp0.

The working conneciton your talking about is the ethernet connection
between the Adsl box and the PC.

> Martin

Sam.
----
sam@epita.fr
Admin - Sys
EPITA (Ecole pour l'informatique et les techniques avancees)
Tel: 01 44 08 01 96