Subject: Re: OpenBSD or NetBSD?
To: Jim Reef <jimreef@hotmail.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/21/2000 19:39:13
On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 10:26:43PM -0000, Jim Reef wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to decide wether to go with OpenBSD or NetBSD for
> http/firewall/mail/backup etc. serving.  I know that OpenBSD split from
> NetBSD so the two operating systems are very similar.  However, without
> starting a holy war, I would like to know how the two compare in (i386):
>
> - performance (speed?)

OpenBSD Usually gets NetBSD improvements with some delay, so I would say
NetBSD is better in this area.

> - network performance (faster/more advanced network stack?)

See above

> - security (bugs, exploits etc)

I think both are equal in this area. NetBSD may be a bit better because
OpenBSD installs a lot of stuff we don't always need (perl, apache, ...)

> - stability & reliability (crashes, bugs etc)

I'm very happy with NetBSD in this area :)

> - functionality (network protocols supported etc)

Hum maybe OpenBSD supports IPX ? Other than this I don't know ...