Subject: Re: 1.5_BETA/i386 ISO image available
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/31/2000 11:44:39
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> writes:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> > Any ideas on when NetBSD-1.5 would be released ?  Should I download the
> > ISO image and use it, or should I wait for some more time ?  Is it OK to
> > use a BETA version -- it's just for a home machine.
>
> I'd expect the final release within the next few weeks, but one can never
> know... ;-) The BETA is definitely stable, I use it on several machines in
> everyday use.

I see that the problem with dhcpd crashes has been fixed in the
1.5_BETA source now. What about the problem with dhclient chewing up
CPU time?  (described in mail from Peter Seebach and myself, as well
as in a roundabout fashion in kern/11287 (and FreeBSD kern/18909). I
realize that probably nobody wants to change the behavior of something
as basic as select() this close to a release, but could we at least
put in Peter's patch (which reduced the timeout value used by dhclient
itself) as a stopgap (yeah, I know nobody likes stopgaps either. But
this problem will make NetBSD seem "doggy" to anybody who uses it to
get a lease time longer than 100,000,000 seconds (and unfortunately,
there are some ISP's / software products out there that do
so). (Personally, I'll just apply Peter's patch locally, but not
everyone has the knowledge/guts to do that...)