Subject: Help installing top
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew W. Robinson <awr@cpu.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/12/2000 12:48:06
Hi all,

I inherited a PC running NetBSD used as our backup server. I don't have
much hands-on with NetBSD (though I think it is very cool). I could not
find the top program anywhere on it, so I'm trying to build and install it.
After building top and running it in place, I get these error messages:

amanda# ./top
top: cannot read nswap: kvm_read: Bad address
top: cannot
read nswdev: kvm_read: Bad address
top: cannot read nswapmap: kvm_read: Bad
address
top: cannot read swdevt: kvm_read: Bad address
top: panic: nswapmap
goof

As a WAG, I'm doubting my choice of architecture when running the Configure
script. Uname says this:

amanda# uname -a
NetBSD amanda 1.3.3 NetBSD 1.3.3 (AMANDA) #0: Wed Jan 13
09:59:47 PST 1999     root@amanda:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/AMANDA i386

The top configure script gives me these choices:

The following machine-dependent modules are available:
386bsd   For a
386BSD system
aix32    POWER and POWER2 running AIX 3.2.5.0
aix41
PowerPC running AIX 4.1.2.0
aux3     a Mac running A/UX version 3.x
bsd386
 For a BSD/386 system
bsd43    any generic 4.3BSD system
bsd44    For a
4.4BSD system
bsd44a   For a pre-release 4.4BSD system
bsdos2   For a
BSD/OS 2.X system (based on the 4.4BSD Lite system)
convex   any C2XX
running Convex OS 11.X.
dcosx    For Pyramid DC/OSX
decosf1  DEC Alpha AXP
running OSF/1 or Digital Unix 4.0.
dgux     for DG AViiON with DG/UX
5.4+
dynix    any Sequent Running Dynix 3.0.x
dynix32  any Sequent Running
Dynix 3.2.x
freebsd20 For a FreeBSD-2.0 (4.4BSD) system
ftx      For FTX
based System V Release 4
hpux10   any hp9000 running hpux version 10
hpux7
  any hp9000 running hpux version 7 or earlier
hpux8    any hp9000 running
hpux version 8 (may work with 9)
hpux9    any hp9000 running hpux version
9
irix5    any uniprocessor, 32 bit SGI machine running IRIX 5.3
linux
Linux 1.2.x, 1.3.x, using the /proc filesystem
mtxinu   any VAX Running Mt.
Xinu MORE/bsd
ncr3000  For NCR 3000 series systems Release 2.00.02 and
above -
netbsd08 For a NetBSD system
netbsd10 For a NetBSD-1.0 (4.4BSD)
system
next32   any m68k or intel NEXTSTEP v3.x system
next40   any hppa or
sparc NEXTSTEP v3.3 system
osmp41a  any Solbourne running OS/MP 4.1A
sco
  SCO UNIX
sunos4   any Sun running SunOS version 4.x
sunos4mp any
multi-processor Sun running SunOS versions 4.1.2 or 4.1.3
sunos5   Any Sun
running SunOS 5.x (Solaris 2.x)
sunos54  Any Sun running SunOS 5.4 (Solaris
2.4) or later.
svr4     Intel based System V Release 4
svr42    For Intel
based System V Release 4.2 (DESTINY)
ultrix4  any DEC running ULTRIX V4.2
or later
umax     Encore Multimax running any release of UMAX 4.3
utek
Tektronix 43xx running UTek 4.1

Based on the uname results, I selected "netbsd10". Should I have selected a
different machine-dependent module for building top? Is this even related
to the errors?

Many thanks from a newbie,

Andrew Robinson

* Andrew W. Robinson                     | Voice:  +1 (504)-889-2784   *
* Computerized Processes Unlimited, Inc. | FAX:    +1 (504)-889-2799   *
* 4200 S. I-10 Service Rd., Suite 205    | E-Mail: awr@cpu.com         *
* Metairie, LA 70001                     | WWW: http://www.cpu.com     *
*                  "Consulting System Integrators"                     *