Subject: Re: RAID in NetBSD-1.4.2
To: Mike Pelley <mike.pelley@coventus.com>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/07/2000 14:33:31
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Mike Pelley wrote:

> > Suppose I want to set up two hard-disks with RAID 1 (mirroring), is it
> > possbile ?  I went through the ccd manpage, and it gives an option called
> > mirroring -- is it the same as what I am asking ?
>
> NetBSD 1.4.2 includes RAIDframe which may be what you are looking for.  I
> have a page at http://worldmap.net/raid.html that describes how I
> implemented RAID on 1.3K, but it should be similar on 1.4.2.

Thanks for your pointer.  Actually, I had undertaken the exact steps as
you mentioned, but I ended up with a lot of errors from the kernel.  Why,
I have no idea.  I have sent a mail to the list (nebsd-users), and so I
suppose you could help me with whatever doubts I have.

A doubt I have (I has asked this in my other mail also): you say you used
wd0f and wd1f for your raid.  Is it possible that after you make you make
a RAID 1 device (for mirroring), you can mount wd0f separately ?  I ask
this because (I have a similar setup as yours) but also have Linux, and I
want to mount wd0f from Linux.  Ofcourse I realized mounting it from Linux
could put both partitions out of sync, but I still ask ... :)

Thanks!
Rakhesh