Subject: laptops for NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/05/2000 14:38:52
(I searched dejanews and a little of the NetBSD archives; I found some
advice about Toshibas and VAIOs.)

Is there a webpage that lists laptops that work good with NetBSD? If one
doesn't exist, I am willing to create a NetBSD laptops webpage for the
NetBSD site. Feel free to send me info about laptops (and laptop
components/accessories) that work and don't work.

I need to get a laptop that I can dial up with, connect to 10/100MB
ethernet, long battery life, use X and the mouse is easy to use. I don't
care what architecture it is -- as long as it is cheap. (In fact, I'd like
to try something other than i386.)

(I have very little recent laptop experience. Most of my laptop experience
is with Hewlett Packard's 8086-powered 110 and Portable Plus which I did a
lot of assembler and Turbo pascal programming (msdos interrupt 21 keeps
coming to my mind). The battery life is incredible (ram-based floppy) -- I
could take it camping and use it for days. The HP Portable Plus is still
running great after about 15-years! Hopefully, I can find something this
reliable.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/