Subject: Re: Hi . .
To: Rick <amar@sakon.com.sg>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/24/2000 10:24:48
On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 10:56:51AM +0800, Rick wrote:
> Hey,
> I would like to know if is netbsd stable to take the load of a
> shell server as well as an irc server. Cause thats what i gonna
> be doing.

I've used NetBSD in that role before. AFAIK, we had no OS-related
issues. (hardware, user-error...)

In a shell server environment, you will want to make sure that no other
hosts trust that host (.rhosts, .shosts, hosts.equiv, hosts.lpd, ssh-agent,
firewall rules, web server .htaccess rules for internal use..).

Also, be sure to follow the security lists. Local root attacks are more
of a hazzard than remote attacks - not because they do 'more damage', but
because people know what they're supposed to do to prevent remote attacks,
but overlook local issues.

Be sure to state your AUP up front too.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive