Subject: disklabel and newfs
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Remmele <remmele@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/14/2000 15:17:41
Hello,

after reading the man pages of disklabel and newfs and the
on-line documentation, it is not really clear to me what the
different entries in the disklabel mean and what effects
one can expect (e.g. on performance) changing sectors/cylinder
or the cpg (cylinders/group).
I thought that the cylinder and sector/cylinder are 'hardware'
values (depending at most on the low level format) but know it
seems to me that the disklabel entries are somehow independ of
that.

Does there exist a brief description of what the values mean
really (some like the rotation/minute seems to be only historical)
and how to find or calculate good values?

Thanks for help,
T. Remmele