Subject: Re: lyx does not run on HP425t under NetBSD-1.4.2
To: Torsten Sadowski <moehl@akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/08/2000 05:22:32
The symbol _glXMakeCurrent is a function in GLX.

GLX is an X extension for providing OpenGL.

OpenGL is a 3D graphics standard that originated from SGI.

It may or may not solve your problem to simply install Mesa on your
system.  Mesa implements the OpenGL API.  We have two versions in our
package system, a ``regular'' Mesa, and a Mesa-glx that requires replacing
your X server.  I don't know if the Mesa-glx will run on a Mac, but the
regular Mesa shouldn't be a problem, I think.  (I use Mesa,
presently.  ``Mesa-glx'' is a slightly misleading name, since both
versions of Mesa provide the GLX symbols---the distinguishing difference
is that Mesa-glx puts GLX into the X server where it is supposed to be.)

That's my quick-fix suggestion.  It should make the missing GLX symbol
available, at least.  I'm surprised that you haven't seen a whole host of
glX/gl/glu/glut missing symbols.

As a proper fix, I would recommend NOT lying to the package system.

Instead, depending on your skill and available time, you might try porting
LyX yourself (rather than using the package version).

Or (what I do), simply use pkgsrc.  When you use pkgsrc, you build the
package yourself (well, your computer does; you don't really do much), and
dependancies are much less of a problem.  If you've installed pkgsrc on
your system, just type:

  cd /usr/pkgsrc/print/lyx && make update

...and then go away for a while.  (You probably will want to do that as
root, since pkgsrc will busily attempt to install things into system
directories.)

You will need to have an internet connection available so that pkgsrc can
download the source code files.  If you don't have a continuous Internet
connection, you can download the needed files manually and put them in
/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles.

I hope that that helped in some way.  Good luck and have fun.  (^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com