Subject: Re: 1U server chassis and colocation (for NetBSD)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/24/2000 20:52:12
In message <200006220400.AAA10199@ghost.whirlpool.com>, you write:
> Hi,
>
> So I'm interested in possibly colocating a NetBSD server.  Currently
> the cheapest I can find means I need a 1U rackmount chassis.
> I would love to hear what people have been using for 1U NetBSD servers
> (i386 or other) and what brands of motherboards, cases, etc.
>
> Most of the shops selling 1U boxes are using an Intel CA810EAL or
> an Intel dual slot 1 (L440GX?) with everything integrated. (well, except
> SCSI)

This box (bl.org) is an Intel CA810 mb in a 1U box, running NetBSD
beautifully.  I built the box, 1U case, 128MB ram, 13 gig HD, 533 Mhz Celeron,
for ~$825 from 3 different places on the net.

> What kind of experiences have you had with these motherboards, etc?
> I would like to buy the components myself and build the server, but
> a reasonable prebuilt system wouldn't be so bad. (having all of the bugs
> worked out for me.)
>
> I've looking at the likes of Penguin Computing, qsol.com, rackmount.com,
> Telenet Systems, Intel's ISP1100, etc and I'm thinking I can build a
> similar box for quite a bit less.
>
> Also, what kind of "bargain" colocation facilities are you using?  I've
> seen server colocation from $1,000/month down to as low as $20/month.
> As this wouldn't be a "business critical" server, I don't want to spend
> a lot to get it on net.

I'm paying $90/mo with an ISP in Austin, TX.

Contact me off-list if you'd like the shopping list I built from.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org