Subject: 1U server chassis and colocation (for NetBSD)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/22/2000 00:00:13
Hi,

So I'm interested in possibly colocating a NetBSD server.  Currently
the cheapest I can find means I need a 1U rackmount chassis.
I would love to hear what people have been using for 1U NetBSD servers
(i386 or other) and what brands of motherboards, cases, etc.

Most of the shops selling 1U boxes are using an Intel CA810EAL or
an Intel dual slot 1 (L440GX?) with everything integrated. (well, except
SCSI)

What kind of experiences have you had with these motherboards, etc?
I would like to buy the components myself and build the server, but
a reasonable prebuilt system wouldn't be so bad. (having all of the bugs
worked out for me.)

I've looking at the likes of Penguin Computing, qsol.com, rackmount.com,
Telenet Systems, Intel's ISP1100, etc and I'm thinking I can build a
similar box for quite a bit less.

Also, what kind of "bargain" colocation facilities are you using?  I've
seen server colocation from $1,000/month down to as low as $20/month.
As this wouldn't be a "business critical" server, I don't want to spend
a lot to get it on net.

Thanks for any feedback.  I summarize my findings if there is interest.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.