Subject: NIS and AMD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/07/2000 10:15:22
Is there a quick HOWTO for setting up NIS and AMD?  The systems in
production use at my company are mostly Solaris or Linux based.  They are
setup so that anyone with a company account can log into any machine and
have his/her home account be the same.  To do this, I believe NIS and AMD
are being used (or their Solaris/Linux equivalents).

I would like to setup my NetBSD machine to have the same ease of use so
that I don't need to administer the password file on the NetBSD box (hence
NIS) and because my local drive is only 1GB (hence AMD).  I don't want to
cause network down time by misconfiguring my box and our sysadmin doesn't
have the time or desire to learn about NetBSD.

Any info on NIS and AMD (other than man pages, I've read them but haven't
learned enough from them to try using NIS and AMD) would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Steven Grunza
steven_grunza@ieee.org

"Luke, you're going to find that many of | Steven Grunza
the truths we cling to depend greatly    | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
on our own point of view."               | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
 - Obi Wan Kenobi, Return of the Jedi    | e-mail: steven_grunza@ieee.org