Subject: Re: Experiences running NetBSD under VMWare
To: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/01/2000 09:42:36
Brian de Alwis writes:
> I'd like to run NetBSD through VmWare under NT... Does anybody
> have any hints or tips to share? I tried using the FreeBSD tools,
> but they don't run, even with COMPAT_FREEBSD. Haven't yet tried
> the Linux tools -- will do that tomorrow.

I've used VMWare 1.x and 2.x under Windows 2000 Pro to run NetBSD 1.4.x
and -current.  I never used the VMWare tools though, normally using ssh
from the host OS.  I can't remember if I actually used VNC on the guest
OS or not, but it would probably work decent.

I experienced some build failures (segv?) with 1.4.x, but not with
-current.  I believe this was under VMWare 1.x, and may have been
ok under 2.x.

> (I'd rather run NT under NetBSD, but unfortunately our Linux emulation
> isn't quite that complete! I've somewhat seriously contemplated instead
> having a minimal Linux system to run NetBSD and NT side-by side...)

Well since the VMWare stuff is heavily dependent on the Linux kernel, it
would hardly seem like "emulation" at the point of getting the driver to work
in a NetBSD kernel.  You could look at the FreeBSD patches for VMWare
that someone came up with.  It is apparently possible to get a minimal
working VMWare on FreeBSD now.  With a lot of blood, sweat and tears you
might get it compiling/working on NetBSD. :)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.