Subject: NetBSD Documentation Project and Ranting
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mocha <netbsd_alpha@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/23/2000 03:19:16
Over the years, I've seen mentions of a documentation project for NetBSD.
What ever happen to those effors? I myself keep little notes here and there
from tips I've gathered from the list and other resources. Finding them is
a different deal altogether (perhaps hypnosis will help).

Often times I read over the Linux and the FreeBSD documents. I'm just in
awe at their efforts. Having tutorials, handbooks, and indepth FAQs would
help expand NetBSD's user base. Understandably with all the architectures
that NetBSD supports, a documentation project would be a tremendous
undertaking.

Another idea would be to add some kind of forum to the NetBSD's website. It
would add value to the web site for visitors. You can even cross reference
the forums to the mailing lists.

In addition, better search capabilities on the web site would help users
find the information they are looking for.

Also having a project management system would help developers collaborate
and track each other's progress. Such a system would not only make
developement faster, but would allow users to see what is going on. Yes one
can view the CVS and see what's going on with NetBSD's developement. But
I'm talking beyond the system level; more at a higher application and
administration level.