Subject: Re: Quota and mail.local
To: Wes Zuber <wes@uia.net>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/12/2000 23:01:49
On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 11:44:43AM -0700, Wes Zuber wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I recently set up qutoas for our mail server on the /var/mail partition. I
> tested it and it seems to work as expected. I get an error when trying to
> exceed quota on users in the directory. However mail.local does not seem to
> honor the quota. I can still send mail to users who are over their quota.
>
> I have used mail.local from 1.4.1 and also compiled and installed mail.local
> from sendmail 8.9.3 with the same results.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

mail.local uses root privileges, so quotas don't help.  I once hacked
mail.local to use user privileges when opening the mailbox - this prevents
appending new messages to mailbox when users run out of quota.  I was hoping
that the change (or a similar one) would be applied to the source tree, but
it hasn't..  (I used an option to mail.local to enable the new behaviour,
so by default everything worked just like before.)

  -jm