Subject: Re: strange netbsd iso image
To: Andreas Almquist <andreas.almquist@home.se>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/10/2000 10:44:58
On Wed, 10 May 2000, Andreas Almquist wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Jon Lindgren wrote:
> <-- cut -->
>
> > It was my understanding that it went like this (someone please correct me
> > if I'm wrong):
> >
> > iso9660 only supports 8.3 names, and only allows 8 levels of directories.
>
> According to http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~pje/iso9660.html the iso9660
> file format supports longer filenames, but not if it is used with DOS.
>
> The iso9660 if I'm not misstaken supports filenames with up to 31
> characters.

I thought that, too, at first, but looking at:

http://w3.mbc.co.kr/mibis/paper/cdinform.html

Told me that my intuition was wrong.  Although, it does say "may" so my
first thought (and your info) may have been correct.

> EazyCD Creator should be able to burn discs according to the iso9660
> standard (at least 3.5)  but I don't know if it supports long filenames.
> Check the burn settings when you burn your disc.

Yeah, I guess that's probably the end issue - if no software will create
file names above 8.3, then it doesn't matter if iso9660 supports 'em or
not...

Thanks for the info,

-Jon
 "There is no fourth tower of Inverness!!!" -Meatball Fulton