Subject: Re: strange netbsd iso image
To: woo jin jeon <wjjeon@telecom.samsung.co.kr>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/10/2000 09:35:14
woo jin jeon wrote:

> hi, all
> i've got netbsd 1.4.2 iso image from ftp.kando.hu.
> when burining it into cdr, i found something wrong.
>
> with Winimage program, the iso image seems just fine!
> all of long file name and dir name(greater than 8 char) is correct in
> there.
> but,
> the file name on cdrom was stripped and shortend to 8.3 dos format after
> burning.
> i've tried out after change setting of burning software again and again
> the results were same. i blew out 4 cdr media hmm
> i've used easycd creator40 to burn the image and cdrwin
>
> have anyone experienced this ?
> please give me a piece of advice on it
>
> thanks
>
> woojin jeon

I have a similar problem.  I used my Win98 box to download the NetBSD
sources and binaries for both the 1.4.2 and the packages.  My CD Writer is
USB based so I burned from Win98.  Under Win98, everthing on the CD looks
fine, long file names etc.  Under NetBSD-1.4.2_ALPHA, the file names are
shortened to standard MS-DOS 8.3

I typically mount the CD from the command line using

mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0a /cdrom

Is there some variation on the mount command that will enable MS-DOS long
file names?

Steven Grunza
steven_grunza@ieee.org