Subject: Re: Laptop Install Problem
To: Adam Pendleton <APendleton@vgsinc.com>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/08/2000 23:14:40
| I am trying to install NetBSD on a CTX AMD K6.  The boot process goes fine,
| as does the partitioning of the disk.  I am attempting to do an FTP install,
| however, which is not going so well. All the correct information is entered
| for the network setup, which runs over a PCMCIA 3COM 3C589C.  There is a
| link light on the hub for the card.  When the install program attempts to
| ping the gateway, however, the ping fails.  Packets seem to be transmitted,
| according to the hub, but nothing is received.  Other machines on the
| network have no problem pinging the gateway.  The install recognizes the
| PCMCIA card, named ep1, but the ping fails.  Is it possible to bypass the
| ping, or is there someway to see why it's failing?

I presume NetBSD 1.4.2.

This sounds like an IRQ or bus-space conflict.
Please try booting with 'boot -d' and entering:

       w pcic_isa_alloc_iobase 0x400
       w pcic_isa_alloc_iosize 0xbff
       w pcic_isa_intr_alloc_mask 0x0a00

if that doesn't help, please try mask values of 0xfbff, and 0x0808.

It would be helpful if you could provide the a copy of the boot time
device probe list, or at least that for your pcmcia card, and see if
there are any obvious conflicts with other devices [lack of obvious
conflicts does not mean that there are no conflicts, however].

--jhawk