Subject: Re: Y2K warning while fetching fetchmail 5.3.8
To: None <talmage@ricochet.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/07/2000 14:38:20
"David W. Talmage" wrote:

> What may I infer from a complaint by ftp like this:
>
> 	Y2K warning! Incorrect time-val `191000421081202' received from server.
> 	Converted to `20000421081202'
> 	221 Goodbye.
>
> ftp said this after downloading the tarball for fetchmail 5.3.8.
>
> May I rely on the integrity of the tarball?  Is it safe for me to use or must
> I wait until the server in question fixes its time?

Everything will be fine.  It means that the ftp daemon on ftp.ccil.org
is doing something like

	printf("19%d")

to show the mofication time of a file.  The NetBSD ftp client looks for
dud timestamps and fixes them.  Since the modification time on a file
doesn't worry pkgsrc anyway, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Maybe you could send a polite note to the admins of that box (does the
ftp welcome banner show who to contact?) and ask them to upgrade their
ftp daemon...

Simon.