Subject: Re: [linux-usb] Anti-NDA petition
To: Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2000 18:51:31
On 26 Apr 2000, at 18:28, Alexander Langer wrote:

> > having the the source code gives someone the ability do fix bugs or enhance
> > software in the case the author does not want or cannot do this. Let us say
>
> I prefer _using_ a piece of hardware. Without drivers this is not
> quite possible.

What do you do if the manufacturer no longer supports your piece of
hardware? If the driver will not work with the next version of your OS you may
keep with the old version of the OS or by new hardware. Having the sources
gives you the option to adapt the driver or have it done by someone else.

mike