Subject: Re: GAIM package
To: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/20/2000 13:44:47
On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Simon Raahauge DeSantis wrote:

> I installed the GAIM package the otherday. (GTK Aol Instant Messanger
> client) Does anyone have any tips for how to get this to cooperate better
> with 256 color displays? It changes the colors of everything else on the
> screen and uses these d0rky penguin icons for the buttons. The file list
> (pkg_info -L) doesn't show any xpms so are the icons and so on kept within
> the program itself?

Probably. Xpm's are simply array's of strings -- the format is
self-evident if you look at one. You could run "strings" over the
binary to see what shakes out.

As for all the colors changing, that's pretty much unavoidable with
256 color displays. The best you can do, usually, is to reduce the
colors used by other applications, or unmap them. Some window managers
eat up a lot of colors themselves. It may help to turn off icons, or
try a different window manager. Something like "wmx" would be much
kinder here than "kde" or "windowmaker".