Subject: Re: Capturing a CD image
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/06/2000 22:20:39
On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 05:45:46PM -0700, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> netbsd@precedence.co.uk (Stephen Borrill) writes:
> > What is the best way to capture an ISO image from a CD-ROM. Under Linux it
> > is as simple as the equivalent of cat /dev/cd0a > image.
>
> I have managed to copy CD's with a simple:
>
>         dd if=/dev/rcd0d of=cdimage.iso bs=1024k

This probably screwed up the very last few blocks of your image (you may not
have noticed) because most of our drivers will happily attempt to tell the
hardware to read off the end of the disk, then return an error when it can't,
instead of reading *to* the end of the disk, then returning a short read for
the last request.  I think this is a serious bug, but some other developers
disagree; it's been this wasy ~forever and basically requires writing a small
C program to efficiently copy a CD (since the largest size that divides
evenly into the number of records on the CD is often not very large...)

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"