Subject: Re: tracking CURRENT
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/26/2000 00:42:24
On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 09:29:16AM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > #! /usr/local/bin/magicfilter
> > #	$NetBSD: printcap,v 1.4 1997/02/15 10:02:22 mikel Exp $
> > #	from: @(#)printcap	8.1 (Berkeley) 6/9/93
> > lp|local line printer:\
> > 	:sh:lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:if=/usr/local/libexec/magicfilter/bj200-filter:
> >
> > Thankyou Nate, putting #! /usr/local/bin/magicfilter at the very top worked and
> > so did the explanation.  I will include that in the book.
> can someone tell me why this line apparently needs to be present in
> the printcap file? I am sorry, if this was explained in one of the
It doesn't have to, but it won't hurt you.

Honestly, I really don't see the point of adding it to /etc/printcap
on a BSD system: /etc/printcap is no skript, it doesn't have the x-bits set,
it will not get executed.

The comments in the magicfilter manpage about adding it confuse me, maybe
this is of some functionality on other operation systems.

> process. The reason for my question is that I am running NetBSD and
> magicfilter since year dot using a BJ300 and Kyocera FS600 printer and
> never had any problem with the default printcap file
/me too.
> generated by magicfilter.
magicfilter generates a printcap file?!?
IIRC I had to do this manually...
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.