Subject: Re: colorls
To: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@pointless.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/25/2000 20:42:55
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Thilo Manske wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 08:04:54PM -0800, Andrew Crossley wrote:
> > Guess who this is ?
> And guess who is answering :-)
> (Are we alone on this list?)
>
> > It seems to loose it's fuctionality when piped though more or less.  Is this
> > the way it just is, because if it is, colorls is pretty useless, as most
> > directories are more than a screenfull long.  Plus, I wish to suggest it as a
> That's the way it is.
>
> colorls changes its output depending if the standard output is directed
> to a terminal or not (i.e. piped or >file). If not, it doesn't use ansi
> colour codes wich may confuse other commands (such as grep or more).
>
> BTW: More can't handle ansi (you would see a lot of ESCCnn on the screen
> instead of colours) so this not a big loss IMHO.

if you use 'more -r' (for 'raw' output) it works - i use linuxls which IMHO is
more configurable than colorls.

e.g.:

alias ll='/usr/local/bin/linuxls -ol | more -r'

--
    They were so ignorant! Young men and women, educated very carefully to
be apolitical, to be technicians who thought they disliked politics, making