Subject: Re: aliases in kde
To: <>
From: <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/25/2000 14:50:52
>> Where do you define your aliases?

>> ~/.cshrc or ~/.login or ~/.xsession (don't know if that works)?

I'll just chuck in my random comments here.  Folx, please jump on any
serious misconceptions i put in.  Forgive me if the asker already knows it
well :)

.login is "startup" stuff for, how should I call them, "dumb terminal
sessions"?  The things you get from login, via a serial terminal, the
console, telnet, rlogin, etc.

.xession is startup stuff for X sessions.  It's thus analogous to .login,
except by the nature of X it tends to start a lot of programs.  One big
difference is that your session terminates when .xsession completes (.login
just falls off the end and goes to a prompt), so the last thing run by
.xsession has to hang around for awhile. =20

.login and .xsession are only run once per session, in your "topmost" shell.
 Thus they should be used for the per-session things, like background tasks
and environment variables.

.cshrc is run by every invocation of csh and tcsh (usually - seems to me
there's a switch to tell the (t)csh not to).  It should thus be used to
initialise things *internal* to (t)csh, ie which are not inherited from the
caller... that's *shell* variables (made by set instead of setenv in (t)csh)
and aliases.