Subject: Printing
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Crossley <toast@iinet.net.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/25/2000 19:39:17
Hello from Xit yet again,

Strike me down for being stupid, but i have printing problems.  Firstly, I have
read all the Manual pages relating to lp, lpr, lpq, magicfilter, etc.  They did
not resolve my problem.

Firstly, KDE is my Window Manager system of choice.

In console printing situations, i am getting the classic "staircase" effect,
and i am having problems finding an IP that fixes this.  I understand that unix
uses only one character for line feed and carraidge return.  What is the
necessary IP line that issues this in my printcap file ??

When i try to print using kde, i get a garbled output that is no where near
what i intended to print.  Being an old Linux head, i found it easy, as i have
an install binary for magicfilter and that sorts things out for me.  I have
used many different configs supplied with magicfilter ( i use a Canon BJC-210),
eg BJ200, BJ600, Epson ones etc and they all give the same garbage in X, and
still the staircase effect from the console.  Is there a newbie freindly binary
available for NetBSD so as to set up an IP line in printcap easily, or can
anyone point me in the direction of some more documentation to read in regards
to printing in NetBSD ??

Newbies will want to tackle this very early in their NetBSD usage to print out
Manual pages etc, and i need to be fully understanding of this if I am going to
write about it in my book.

Plus i'd like to print out a hard copy of my work.

I know most of you will laugh at how basic this problem is, but it has driven
me crazy.

TIA

XiT