Subject: Re: Does it takes few seconds to fsck the large LFS ?
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C1=A4=BC=BA=BF=F8?= <swjeong@kitel.co.kr>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@marconicomms.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/23/2000 12:17:50
=C1=A4=BC=BA=BF=F8 wrote:
> =

> I am using a large filesystem (about 200GB FFS).
> After the system panics, it takes about 4-5 hours to fsck the 200GB
> FFS.
> If I use LFS instead of FFS, does it takes only a few seconds to fsck
> the large LFS ?
> =

> ('The design and impl. of 4.4BSD ...' says at 300 page that
>   "bringing a LFS to a consistent state normally requires only a few
> seconds per filesystem")
> =

> If it is possible, why isn't LFS used in common ?

LFS has been in the tree only for a few month now.
That means that it still may contain bugs. Thus it's
recommended to use it for uncritical data (e.g.
news server) to find all the possibly remaining
bugs. If it proves to be stable for a few month,
it'll probably be recommended also for critical =

data.

  Guenther

P.S.: Please do not send HTML mail to the mailing lists.
ASCII mail is preferred.