Subject: Re: German language support?
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/16/2000 16:25:55
On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 01:30:58AM +1100, Giles Lean wrote:
> How does someone with PCs with US-style keyboards go about entering
> and viewing German text?  For my purposes I'm interested in X and PCL
Simplest way to do that is to change the key map with
xkeycaps (it's in the package system, category x11).
E.g. You can change to the German layout and redifine one of those three
otherwise useless additional keys, "modern" PC-Keyboards have these days.
You will need that, since most international keyboards have an extra key
right to the left shift key, it's used for <>| in the German layout.

> or Postscript printing, but any tips about character sets for email
> and such would be welcome too.
I think the base install is fine:
I type and view often documents in German language (guess why) and
don't need any additional character sets for that. On i386 the console
(wscons) can display the Western/Latin-ISO-characters (ISO-8859-1) as well.
OK, at least umlauts, haven't checked them all.

(And here's the umlaut test for you: äöüßÄÖÜ)

> I've worked on some internationalisation problems in the past, but one
> way or another I have always avoided the actual data entry bit
> ... time to learn. :-)
If you set "LANG=de" you will even get some German error messages
from NetBSD (but mutt works worse (doesn't display or accept umlauts
anymore, quite strange...))
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.