Subject: Re: [Q] disklabel erasure
To: None <sam@Progressive-Systems.Com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2000 21:33:44
On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 12:27:15PM -0500, sam@Progressive-Systems.Com wrote:
> What is the exact command to erase the disklabel on a disk?
> If you only want to erase the disklabel, but no other data, what would
> you use?
>
> I used "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0d count=20" but I suspect count
> was larger than was needed.  It was a new disk, so there was no data
> on it.
>
> It might be useful to put the command in the disklabel manual page or
> better yet, augment disklabel with another option that removes the
> disklabel from the disk.  I know this is inherently risky, but there
> are times when it's better to simply erase the disklabel and start
> over.

I think 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0c bs=8k count=1' should work on all ports
but I didn't look at every machines's specificities :)
Note that on i386 this will erase the disklabel but not the MBR partition
table. Use wd0d instead if you want to clean the disk.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>