Subject: Re: shared library dependencies
To: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/2000 07:34:54
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Bjoern Labitzke wrote:

> * UEBAYASHI Masao (masao@nf.enveng.titech.ac.jp) [000212 23:56]:
> | I have, similar problem linking readline library to PostgreSQL (psql),
> | Python, or Guile. I wonder this is called as interlibrary dependency
> | problem.
>
> I have written about this problem already in tech-pkg when I discussed my
> packaging tcl-8.2.3. The problem here is libtool. The version we have in
> the pkgsrc and the version pkglibtool we use states explicitly in the
> documentation that shared library interdependencies are not possible yet! I
> don't know if a new version with this feature exists since the last time I
> checked (about a month ago).

It's believed that the current devel/libtool now supports all ports,
so it should eventually become the replacement for pkglibtool (but not
until after the 1.4.2 cut). The standard libtool will install the .la
files, which are needed on a.out ports to get it right for libraries
that depend on other libraries. What's needed, for now, is to fix the
library packages to use libtool rather than pkglibtool, such as...

#XXX This should all go away, once pkglibtool goes away.
CONFLICTS+=             libtool-1.2
BUILD_DEPENDS+=         ${LOCALBASE}/bin/libtool:../../devel/libtool
LIBTOOL=                ${LOCALBASE}/bin/libtool

or otherwise make sure the .la files are installed. (Since pklibtool
creates, but doesn't install them, it may be possible, and more
efficient, to use a post-install target instead.) Also to record them
in the PLIST(s). The depending packages then only need to use libtool
(pkglibtool is probably OK) to DTRT when linked against the .la files.