Subject: Re: SFBA NetBSD Users Group Meeting
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/07/2000 22:05:22
[ ugh, sorry to have to followup this one again, but... ]

> Some extra added incentive: I will be selling cheap, expendable, partly-
> functional PNIC tlp 10/100 cards at cost ($10) from a box I gambled on at
> the Livermore swap meet this weekend. I'm still sorting them; most seem
> to work at 100fdx but not 10bt or vice versa.

After some sleep (always helps) and some more tests I found that nearly all
the cards really do work, but that they don't always come up correctly the
first time after they're installed. Waiting to connect the UTP cable until
after they are securely plugged into the PCI slot seems to help a lot. :/

Reconnecting the UTP cable generally seems to make them start working too;
the reason I thought they ran at one speed but not the other was because I
never tried moving the cable _back_ to the hub that initially did not work.

Also I've found that the DOS diagnostic program really wants a Novell/NT
server to be available for ping testing, and that without them it still
might succeed the ping test _if_ another machine on the net has a correct
ARP entry for that machine (say by running NetBSD prior to the DOS test)
and happens to send it a directed packet. I was actually able to get it to
succeed once by pinging it from my other i386 while the test was running.

I'm going to take down my other i386 that can handle these cards and do a
series of peer-to-peer tests with their DOS tester and with 1.4R from the
weekend. At this point it looks like I should have about a dozen cards
confirmed working and available Tuesday night.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com