Subject: Re: emul in a dev environment
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/02/2000 22:08:15
On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 07:08:42AM -0500, Jon Lindgren wrote:
> I need to do some development using a package which isn't native on
> NetBSD.  The company provides this software (which consists of a few
> dynamic libraries and a few executables) for Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris,
> but not for NetBSD.  I know that I should be able to set up emulation to
> run the executables, but will I be able to develop a native NetBSD app
> which links against their [emulated] libraries?  Or does emulation not
> imply compilation?

It depends on the format. I've been able to successfully link native NetBSD
binaries with BSDI objects. But both NetBSD and BSDI were a.out at the time.
I guess if your FreeBSD lib is the same format (a.out or ELF) as the NetBSD
one you may be able to get something working.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>