Subject: Re: Another Manual ???
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: James Wetterau <jwjr@panix.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/21/2000 15:24:29
Thor Lancelot Simon says:

> > I'm awfully fond of Perl's POD (plain old documentation) system for
> > writing documentation.  It is not a general purpose system for text
>
> Perl is not -- and will not be, unless you want to engage in fisticuffs
> with a substantial number of the current NetBSD developers -- included
> in NetBSD.

Hey, I didn't say Perl should be included with the NetBSD
distribution.  I didn't say I thought Perl should be included with the
NetBSD distribution.  I didn't say that Perl's documentation system
should be included with the NetBSD system.  OK?

I especially didn't say I wanted a fight.  And how would my engaging
in fisticuffs have anything to do with Perl's inclusion in or
exclusion from the NetBSD distribution?  You're ranting at me for no
good reason.

I said I thought POD has some good ideas, specifically its simplicity
and utility in generating other formats.  I pointed out in what man
pages you can find out about those features.  The man page I spoke of
is available via the NetBSD Packages collection.  And I stand by my
claim that whatever system NetBSD documentation gets written in could
take a lesson or two from the simplicity and flexibility of the POD
system.

There's no need to fly off the handle and start ranting about fist
fights.

All the best,
James