Subject: Re: Another Manual ???
To: None <dkphoto@cyber-wire.com, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2000 14:08:36
Hi., me again. :)

>> NetBSD already has a documentation mechanism: man pages.  IMO, *all*
>>documentation should go into man pages and be automaticly generated from
>>there to use as FAQs, install guides, and such.

>In general I think the idea of expanding the man pages is a good one, but
>did you take a hard look at what you said(?):

I think you missed the point.  What he meant (actually, what he said) was
that the documentation should be written (and marked up) just as all other
NetBSD man pages are.  Once the documentation exists in that form, it's
nearly trivial to (say) publish the collection on a website, paper, or
CD-ROM.

An even better idea than man pages was brought up earlier: Federico is
using the SGML/DocBook standard.  If you mark your documents with DocBook
(which is a sibling of HTML, only done Right) you can translate them
(i.e. typeset them) into man pages, web pages, and (yes!) even books. :)

Jonathan