Subject: Re: CD-R[W] recommendations
To: Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/16/2000 20:27:47
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Kenny Drobnack wrote:

> I have a suggestion if speed isn't an issue.  I got a 2x2x6 SCSI CD-RW
> drive off compgeeks (www.compgeeks.com) that works great....
> Anyway, the CD-RW drive is the Ricoh MediaMaster CD-RW. Not sure
> of the exact model because my web connection doesn't seem to be working.

I bet it's the same 2x2x6 I found at computer123.com, or some place
like that: the Ricoh CD-R/RW RW7040S. Mine works okay under NetBSD on
my Alpha; unfortunately it crashes my Sparc. Even on the alpha, if you
try to dd the iso image off the disk, it keeps reading past the end and
doesn't stop writing until it fills your disk. Odd....

On the other hand, it writes CD-Rs and CD-RWs just fine, so I'm happy
enough with it, given the price I paid ($160 or so).

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org