Subject: Re: CD-R[W] recommendations
To: None <sam@Progressive-Systems.Com>
From: Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/14/2000 14:04:04
I have a suggestion if speed isn't an issue.  I got a 2x2x6 SCSI CD-RW
drive off compgeeks (www.compgeeks.com) that works great.  It comes with a
SCSI card that uses the aic drive and is supported by the cdrecord
program.  A little disclaimer though: I have not actually tried this with
NetBSD.  Its on my FreeBSD box, but I'm assuming the results will be
similar.  Anyway, the CD-RW drive is the Ricoh MediaMaster CD-RW. Not sure
of the exact model because my web connection doesn't seem to be working.

> I am in the process of looking for a CD-R or CD-RW recorder to burn
> CD's using cd-record on NetBSD 1.4.1.  I am not particular whether the
> interface should be SCSI or IDE.  Usage for this burner will be light;
> mostly archives and duplication of CDs.  The primary concern is
> reliability; it only takes a couple of bad burns [pun wholly intended
> :-)] before confidence in the whole process/recorder/NetBSD/etc. will
> be shaken.
>
> I looked through the archives for 1999 but didn't find any
> suggestions.  Maybe netbsd-users isn't the list I should be looking
> at.  Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations from the experts as to
> what has worked well, or more importantly, what _hasn't_ worked.
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

-----
In computer terms, hardware is the stuff you can hit with a baseball bat,
and software is the stuff you can only swear at.
   -from a web page explaining what hardware, software, and firmware are
----