Subject: Y2K problems?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2000 21:53:58
On the morning of Y2K, I came in to use my 'puter (NetBSD/i386).  I turned
on the monitor and let it warm up for a few seconds.  Nothing happened, of
course.  I have X configured to blank its screen.  Then I moved the mouse.
The screen was still blank.

Hm.

Nothing else immediately suggested any problems.  It looked okay, but
didn't seem to visibly respond.  I probably should have tried operating it
blindly, but I simply powered down, and powered back up.  The system
seemed to boot normally, except that even the POST/BIOS failed to display
anything.  (POST == Power On Self-Test, for those who care; PC-specific
term, I believe, and an ironic acronym to boot (ahem).)

So, I called the manufacturer.  While I was talking on the phone, and
checking cables, I came around to the front, and found the display was lit
up.  Not sure what to make of it, I hung up and wrote it off to a
glitch, or possibly a just-barely-loose cable that I'd jiggled back into
place.

A few of days later (Thursday), the monitor died on me altogether.

Now, I'm not saying that it's a Y2K glitch (there is evidence against
that).  I'm not saying that it's Bill Gates's fault.  I won't even blame
it on the penguin.  Nonetheless, one monitor is dead.  Oh, the humanity!

(FWIW, the monitor is covered by the warranty, and will be replaced, if
UPS manages to deliver it in one piece.)

By the way (purely out of curiosity): Are there any other NetBSD users on
this list who are in the Kansas City area?  (As I recall, this summer, the
list was taken over for user-group type discussion.  I feel justified in
asking.  (^&)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com