Subject: Re: printcap entry, and my printer
To: Sean Matheis <sean@pentex.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/30/1999 11:45:34
On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Sean Matheis wrote:

> On 30 Dec 1999 10:06:24 GMT, Ryo-ohki informed me that
> Matthias Scheler wrote:
> * If you don't want headers why do you enable them? Try this:
> *
> * lp|ps|My HP 6MP:\
> * 	:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
> * 	:sd=/var/spool/printers/ps:\
> * 	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
> * 	:mx#0:
> * 	:sh:
>
> Per the man page for printcap,
>
> sh      bool    false             suppress printing of burst page header
          ^^^^

> To me, the non-Unix programmer, this implies that "sh=true" means
> suppress the printing.

"bool" means it's there (true) or it isn't (false, the default). '='
is for str type variables, and setting it to the _string_ value "true"
isn't what you want.

IMHO, "/etc/printcap" could stand to have more and more current
examples, though it would be bad to go the way of "termcap", which has
thousands of entries, no more than 4 or 5 of which are ever used.