Subject: Re: Acer CRW
To: Emre <emre@iris.vsrc.uab.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/16/1999 13:20:25
Emre writes:

> Ah cool!  I thought I was the only one that bought a crappy Acer CRW.
> I installed cdrecord-current as well, but I'm kinda stuck...after I
> installed it from the ports it asked me to link something (but was
> referring to a SCSI device).  I never used it cdrecord before, maybe I
> should RTFM first :)

The Acer isn't so bad.  I think I ended up paying about $89 for it.
I decided that since Nero supported it on that other OS, that I would
be ok.  If NetBSD couldn't use it, I would buy a nice quality SCSI
model. :)

WRT cdrecord, I vaguely recall one of the package guys commenting that
the 'su-x-n-y' type link is not required under NetBSD, and he was
adjusting the docs to reflect that.  I can't find anything about this
in pkgsrc though, so I might have imagined it.

I just installed cdrecord-current, and the following command returned
what looks to be the expected result:

node1# cdrecord -checkdrive dev=/dev/rcd0d
Cdrecord release 1.8a31 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/rcd0d'
devname: '/dev/rcd0d'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'ATAPI   '
Identifikation : 'CD-R/RW CRW6206A'
Revision       : '1.6A'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO

Give that command a shot and see if you get the same result.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.