Subject: Re: dhclient problems
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/15/1999 15:23:26
In message <Pine.SOL.3.96.991215150244.24887A-100000@bitter.mit.edu>, mcmahill@
mtl.mit.edu writes:

eon0 is a weird pseudo-device concerned with OSI networking.  I deleted it
from my kernel config file for that exact reason; that made dhclient happy
enough to run, but it insisted on cluttering the console with lots of messages
about problems with other pseudo-devices.

I eventually gave up and fell back to my original solution:  explicitly name
the devices you want dhclient to use:

	dhclient ep0

or whatever.  (I put the device as the dhclient_flags value in rc.conf)

> I'm trying to get dhcp going on a friends machine and am having problems.
> Its NetBSD-1.4.1/i386.  It works fine on my NetBSD-1.4.1/mac68k.  As far
> as I can tell, everything is done the same on these machines in
> /etc/{rc.conf, dhclient.conf} after substituting the correct network
> interfaces.
>
> During boot, I see
>
> Can't attach interface eon0 to bpf device /dev/bpf0:  Device not
> configured, exiting.
>
> So is the complaint about eon0 or bpf0?  In dhclient.conf, in the leases
> section, there is a line
>
>   interface "ep0";
>
> so I don't know why its even trying eon0 (I don't even know what that is).
> As far as kernel options, I tried with a GENERIC kernel and a custom one.
> I have verified that there is a line
>
>   psuedo-device bpfilter 16
>
> is in the config file and /dev/bpf0 exists (from sysinst).  I also tried
>
> cd /dev
>
> sh ./MAKEDEV bpf0
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks