Subject: dhclient problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/15/1999 15:09:30
I'm trying to get dhcp going on a friends machine and am having problems.
Its NetBSD-1.4.1/i386.  It works fine on my NetBSD-1.4.1/mac68k.  As far
as I can tell, everything is done the same on these machines in
/etc/{rc.conf, dhclient.conf} after substituting the correct network
interfaces.

During boot, I see

Can't attach interface eon0 to bpf device /dev/bpf0:  Device not
configured, exiting.

So is the complaint about eon0 or bpf0?  In dhclient.conf, in the leases
section, there is a line

  interface "ep0";

so I don't know why its even trying eon0 (I don't even know what that is).
As far as kernel options, I tried with a GENERIC kernel and a custom one.
I have verified that there is a line

  psuedo-device bpfilter 16

is in the config file and /dev/bpf0 exists (from sysinst).  I also tried

cd /dev

sh ./MAKEDEV bpf0

Any ideas?

Thanks