Subject: Re: JBuilder w/ jdk1.1.6
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@de.bosch.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/1999 15:43:45
Scott Bartram wrote:

> I have unfinished patches for 1.2. I stopped work on 1.2 to focus on
> updating our 1.1 release to 1.1.8.
>
> According to Sun, we cannot distribute binaries for 1.2 without the
> following:
>
> 1) pay royalties
> 2) pay for and pass a certifcation test
>
> Now, keep in mind that this is the "official" position. Linux (Blackdown)
> got a waiver on #1 and I don't think they had to pay for #2 although
> they were not allowed to call it a "release" until they passed the cert
> test.

Hmm, IIRC, Sun has posted an announcement that it waives all royalties
for jdk1.2 (standard edition). See

http://java.sun.com/pr/1999/12/pr991207-07.html

In the worst case we'll have to way until 2000-01-31 to distribute
the binaries, but I guess it'll take some time to get it running
anyways. But maybe (hopefully), we can to the certification test
for free as well, so we can really call it java.

  Guenther