Subject: Re: New Developer
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/1999 16:38:24
On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Rick Kelly wrote:

> David Maxwell said:
>
> >I used to admin a box called an 'Arix' - Arix went under in '91-2
>
> I used to take care of an Arix box.
>
> Then there are a number of ICL 68k boxes.
>
> And the TI 1500.
>
> I think that Edisa, a Spanish computer, also used a 68k.
>
> And there are a bunch of other 68k boxes that I can't remember
> right now.

I know that a number of older Stratus boxes used the 68k series.  These
were huge fault tollerant machines - in addition to swapping p/s and disk
without taking the box down, you could also swap enet, x.25 (and other
comm cards), _memory_ and IIRC cpus, too.  They were neat boxes -
redundant bus backplanes.  You could add memory on the fly, too, and
unduplex any resource if you needed more memory/disk/cpu on the fly.

It'd be neat to run NetBSD on one of those suckers.

-Jon