Subject: Re: Large EIDE drives
To: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/1999 10:58:03
On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 03:31:06PM -0500, Jonathan Fuerth wrote:
> Hello.  I just called a computer store to order a 13GB EIDE drive.  They
> warned me that the BIOS on my pentium-class motherboard will most likely
> see the drive as 8GB.  I tried to tell them that my OS (NetBSD/i386 1.4.1)
> doesn't really care what the BIOS thinks (except when booting), and that the
> drive would work fine for me.  They disbelieved me and basically said that
> I can't return the drive if it doesn't work in my system.

So if you buy a >8G drive from them, you can't ever return it? That's nice..
Anyway, you will have no problem with this under NetBSD. If your BIOS is
old, just make sure that your NetBSD root partition falls below 8G,
since the kernel is loaded using the BIOS. The install system will
warn you about this if you violate this constraint.

- Frank