Subject: Re: how to setup dhcp
To: Chan Yiu Wah <c5666305@hkstar.com>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@pointless.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/01/1999 15:59:54
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Chan Yiu Wah wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:09:09 +0800 (HKT)
> From: Chan Yiu Wah <c5666305@hkstar.com>
> To: netbsd-users@netbsd.org
> Cc: ein@hkstar.com
> Subject: how to setup dhcp
>
> Hello,

hi,

> I had problem in setup the dhcpd.  The dhcpd does start.  However, my
> win98 in the LAN cannot use the the dhcp to be assigned a IP address for
> accessing the internet.. When I put back the actual IP for my win98, it
> can access the internet through my server. Any idea ?
>
> clarence
>
> p.s. I use ipnat and pppd as well.
>
> ======= dhcpd.conf ======
> # dhcpd.conf
> #
> # Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd
> #
>
> # option definitions common to all supported networks...
> option domain-name "hkstar.com";
> option domain-name-servers pc77.hkstar.com;

change 'pc77.hkstar.com' to the ip address of your dns server

> option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
> default-lease-time 600;
> max-lease-time 7200;
>
> subnet 202.66.33.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>   range 202.66.33.100 202.66.33.200;
>   option broadcast-address 202.66.33.77;
>   option routers pc77.hkstar.com;
> }

change 'pc77.hkstar.com' to the ip address of your router

> host pc77 {
>   hardware ethernet 00:00:b4:55:bb:5f;
>   filename "unix.pc77";
>   server-name "pc77.hkstar.com";
> }

change 'pc77.hkstar.com' to the ip address of your tftpserver

> ======= dhcpd.conf =======

i think if you do dhcpd -f -d <interface>X it will give you more info as to
what is going on.

do you know about winipcfg under win9[58] (or ipconfig under nt)?

They are quite usefull for debugging win dhcp problems.

--
    They were so ignorant! Young men and women, educated very carefully to
be apolitical, to be technicians who thought they disliked politics, making