Subject: Re: amanda and tape changers
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/23/1999 22:21:42
On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 02:05:36PM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> I'm having serious pain getting a tape changer working under amanda from
> pkgsrc..
>
> I try running amcheck -s DailySet1 and I get:
>
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> /amanda: 5690373 KB disk space available, that's plenty.
> amcheck-server: could not get changer info: 10 1
>
> (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.1p1)
> giauzar#
>
> While this is happening..  the changer picks up the tape in slot 0, and places
> it in my drive.. the drive then starts doing something, and thats when
> amcheck-server comes back failed..
>
> I have an exabyte 10e changer, with an 8500 drive in it..  I have only two
> tapes in the device right now.. so I tried setitng the device to only use two
> tapes.. (the tapes are in slot 0 and 1)  I've also tried the conf file with all
> slots enabled.. etc etc..
>
> relevant portion of changer.conf below..
>
> config          0
> drivenum        0
> dev             /dev/nrst0      # the device that is used for thetapedrive0
> startuse        0       # The slots associated with the drive 0
> enduse          1       #
> statfile        /usr/local/etc/amanda/tape5-slot  # The file where the actual sl
> ot is stored
> cleancart       -1      # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive 0 is
>                         # located. -1 means none.
> cleanfile       /usr/local/etc/amanda/tape0-clean # The file where the cleanings
>  are recorded
> usagecount      /usr/local/etc/amanda/backup/totaltime

And what do you have in amanda.conf ?
Your changer.conf looks correct and is mostly the same as mine.
In my amanda.conf I have:
runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger "chg-scsi"    # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "0"             # for chg-scsi, this indicates the changer config to
                        # use
rawtapedev "/dev/null"  # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
changerfile "/usr/pkg/etc/amanda/changer.conf"
changerdev "/dev/ch0"

My changer.conf:
number_configs  1
eject           1       # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep           70      # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax        0       # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
changerdev      /dev/ch0
#
# Next comes the data for drive 0
#
config          0
drivenum        0
dev             /dev/nrst0      # the device that is used for the tapedrive 0
startuse        0       # The slots associated with the drive 0
enduse          13      #
statfile        /var/amanda/tape5-slot  # The file where the actual slot is stor
ed
cleancart       -1      # the slot where the cleaningcartridge for drive 0 is lo
cated
cleanfile       /var/amanda/tape0-clean # The file where the cleanings are recor
ded
usagecount      /var/amanda/backup/totaltime

You may need to adjust the 'sleep' parameter.
I have a Overland LXS library with a DLT 7000.