Subject: Re: The next release??
To: Hirohito Higuchi <hirohito@msi.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/23/1999 22:13:06
On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 07:08:28PM +0900, Hirohito Higuchi wrote:
> Dear Sirs
>  Hello,everyone.
>
>  I am using NetBSD1.4-i386.
>  As you know,this is a.out based OS.
>
>  Well,I'm wondering when the elf based NetBSD is released.
>  I am so nervous about it,because it seems difficult to
> make my NetBSD change to elf based from a.out based.

No, it's not difficult. There are instructions available around, and if
you follow them you shouldn't have problem.
I did so for i386 and sparc, and the only glitch I encountered was with tcsh's
completion (because of the way a.out compatibility works). Installing tcsh elf
package solved it. All my other a.out programs works perfectly fine.