Subject: Re: Microsoft ask users to crack win2000 site (fwd)
To: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
From: Jon Miner <miner@doit.wisc.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/10/1999 18:17:59
At 04:40 PM 8/10/99 , Grant Stockly wrote:
> >This came through on BUGTRAQ last week. A new posting on BUGTRAQ indicates
> >that LinuxPPC has issued a similar challenge with similar or identical
> >rules. I'm wondering if there may be some fame or notoriety to be gained
> >for OBSD by joining in this challenge. It probably won't be difficult,
> >or long, before someone breaks in to the NT2K challenge site so there may
> >not be much time.
>
>They don't even need to ask for people to hack it, it looks like
>www.windows2000test.com has a little problem.
>
>I've never been able connect to it.  Its either refused my connection or
>just sat there trying to answer.

Be careful...  There has been some discussion on BugTraq and elsewhere that
while MS can waive their right to sue, you may still be guilty under
federal law, which can operate independent of the waiver.

You may also be punished by your ISP (after all, it's an opportunity to
kick you out and keep you money, and/or sue you)

just my (and a few others', shamelessly stolen) $0.02

jon

--
Jonathan J. Miner----------------------|        miner@doit.wisc.edu
Network Systems Technology             |               608/262.9655